Simple answer...tax! Around 50% of a £5 bottle of wine in the UK goes straight to the Treasury.
“Return of the booze cruise? £4-a-bottle saving on French wine prompts cross-border stampede. Wine duties are up over here, and the euro's down over there, so 'booze cruising' is on the rise.” Kate Palmer, Sunday Telegraph.
Why do we sometimes go out of stock?
Apart from delays with suppliers or transport, our buying team often secure great bargains by purchasing unwanted supermarket stock at discounted wholesale rates - this explains why our fantastic range of wine changes so often. By buying at outstandingly low prices and then selling in Calais without the need to pay UK Tax and Excise Duty, our customers benefit from massive savings on quality wines from all over the world.
Simply browse our range of wines, many with over £4 saving on UK retail prices, and place your order online. We will give you a unique booking reference for you to book a free ticket with P&O Ferries.
With up to 23 sailings a day and 90 minute crossings you can have a relaxing day trip to collect your wines.
Alternatively, we offer free Day Trip or Overnight crossings via Eurotunnel le Shuttle.
How does it work?
- Place your pre-order for £250 online
- Enter your preferred date for travel at checkout
- If you have chosen Eurotunnel le Shuttle you will receive booking confirmation directly from Eurotunnel. Just keep a note of this booking number for when you check-in at their Folkestone terminal.
- If you have chosen P&O Ferries we will email you a unique booking code. Contact P&O Ferries on 0800 130 0030 as soon as you’ve received the code from us, to book your crossing. Please be flexible in terms of times and dates.
- If you need to amend your collection date or order - no problem. Just let us know the new details and we will make all necessary amendments in store.
- Visit the information desk on arrival - your order will be waiting for you.
Please note that P&O Ferries reserves the right to impose a variable surcharge to your ticket during busy periods on certain crossings. This is entirely out of our control. You will be advised of any surcharges when you make your booking with P&O Ferries. To avoid incurring this cost we recommend:
- Be flexible with your times and dates.
- Book as far in advance as you can.
- Travel via Eurotunnel le Shuttle instead where no surcharges apply.
British shoppers pay £2.05 per bottle on still wine* taxes alone (before VAT is added) compared with less than 2p in France**.
Since 2007, the alcohol tax or “excise duty” on a bottle of wine has increased by 72p in Britain and by 0.03p in France.
*297.57 pence per litre for still wine of ABV 5.5% - 15%, 381.15 pence per litre for sparkling wine of ABV 8.5% - 15%
**3.40 euros per hectolitre (100 litres)
Experienced & Most Excellent Buying Team!
To say our buying team are wheeler dealers is to do them a disservice – they are much better than that. Having worked in the cross channel trade for OVER 50 years between them, they are dedicated to bringing our customers the best possible deals on the nation's favourite wines. As well as sniffing out some stunning French wines!
"A powerful combination of rising liquor duties here and a weakening euro there have ushered in the new age of the booze cruise" Kate Palmer, The Sunday Telegraph